Tuesday, July 3, 2007

July 3...I'm alive

Sorry I've been out of touch the last few days. Trying to keep my laptop charged while having to run down across the street to the hotel lobby proved to be too much of a challenge to stay on top of.
I haven't had time to really sit down and reflect on my race day effort, yet. I think I'm still in a state of shock for a few reasons. My long version of my race report will come later.

A. The crowd support was UNBELIEVABLE! I've never experienced anything like it and probably never will again (unless I get the nerve up again to do this again). Even though I couldn't understand the majority of the words fans were yelling, there was always the universal cheers of the banging cowbell and other noise makers.
B. I was extremely happy with my swim and bike. The swim portion was a full contact grudge match for the entire 2.4 miles like nothing I have experienced before. Absolutely amazed I was able to make it through without sustaining a blackeye. I heard some of the Kayaker's actually got tipped over. I really thought I'd be able to run a 4hr marathon especially since my legs felt really good and I never felt that I was going too hard on the bike, but I fell off pace for a bit around mile 16 (Toilet breaks) which were a little unexpected.

C. The organization and volunteer support at the aid stations and in the transition areas were so efficient and helpful. Every aid station was overly staffed and each and every one was in the exact same sequence.
This has to rank up there as the best event I've ever participated in! Period. End of story.

I've got to run. Igda and I are renting a car for a few days and driving South.

Here's some photos before I go.




No comments:

Post a Comment