Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Frenchman to the Rescue & CC TT

This little guy rocked it on SAT:


But back to the Frenchman. We have this gentleman on the team, Francois Bru. He caught the cycling bug last year. He's the most energetic, organized, good-natured, hard-working and analytical rider I've ever known, and he LOVES time trials. It has been fun hanging out with Francois and his wife Valerie after some TT's earlier this year.

I've been giving Francois some grief lately - telling him to just relax and have fun with it. Well, thank god he didn't decide to change his ways this SAT! I pull what I think is my skinsuit out of my bag and it's actually just my long sleeve jersey. WTF! I look at Harrell and don't even bother asking him if he has an extra kit...like I'd fit in a small. Now Custer isn't giving up his YAH kit! (BTW- huge breakthrough performance by Custer!) What the hell am I going to do? Who the hell brings extra kits to a time trial?

WAIT! There is Francois. "Hey, Francois! You don't by chance have an extra kit do you?" I didn't really expect a yes, but in Francois fashion he responds with his french accent, "Of course, I bring extra of everything!" He tosses me his bib shorts and jersey. I'm now ready to roll! Whoosh...that was close. I'm not exactly sure what I would have done otherwise. The VALUE OF TEAMMATES showing up for races!

I really appreciate ABRT for putting on this TT, but man, this course has my number. I just haven't figured out how to attack it. I've been on death's door my first 3 attempts about 8k from the line. Not good! There's just no easy day on that course, regardless of how flat it is. Thankfully, I held it together enough to win the MABRA Cat 3 TT Championship which I'm happy about. This win was just icing on the cake after Millersburg.

And then we hit the most insane traffic ever on the way home...wow, that was a really long day of travel for ~55min of racing. Well worth it though.

Oh, yeah. As if one 40k TT isn't enough, we decided to go down to the VA Champs on SUN earlier this week. More on that one later...

No comments:

Post a Comment