Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"If Only"

I read the other day that the two saddest words for a cyclist are "If Only". So funny and often times very true. You sit around long after the race and hear countless stories which usually start with those two words. I've fallen into that trap numerous times...I think it's just part of racing. There is ALWAYS something or many things that unfold during a race where hindsight is 20/20. But the bottom line is that if I could have done it, I would have, no bullshitting around.

I raced 1/2/3 Morgantown RR this past Saturday with my teammate Brian Rist. What a crazy day! It started when we hit a pretty good snow storm crossing over the Maryland pass into WV. We plowed on as I repeatedly kept checking the weather radar. When we hit Morgantown, it was pretty clear, sweet. And then ~30 mins before the start of our race it starts snowing/sleeting...geez.


Gotta give the promoter and officials huge props! They postponed the race 30mins and guess what? The precip mellowed to a light rain and we were ready to race! I totally misjudged my clothing options and went with wearing my Gore jacket. Garmin showed that it was 37 at the start and got up to mid 50s at one point. Holy hell that got HOT and I couldn't take it off b/c my number was pinned to it.

Here are the cliff notes of the race. ~30-35 starters. Course is fast for the first 20 miles and the field stayed in tact. We hit the first most significant climb and the field exploded. I dug DEEP and made it over the top with the front ~8-9 riders just on the last wheel. I was pretty cross-eyed, but it didn't seem like there were more than that. The move had 2 teams well represented, XO (Rugg/Langley) & some strong riders from Pittsburgh. They just RIPPED it to the next climb and stayed on the gas which was shortly thereafter. Damn, I needed a bit more recovery. I got gapped at the steep part on the last 1/3 of that climb. I was maxed out and tried to manage the damage. Rolled the next ~8 miles solo and when I was near the top of the following climb I saw a chase group coming so I mellowed out and hooked up with them. THEN I raced like a complete pansy...end of story...

I think this is where I'm about to get caught by the chase at the top of the climb.



But I DID have fun after it was all said and done. Super fun course! Really needed this race in prep for next weekend at Battenkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment