Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tradezone Crit #2…I think I need an 11-23

I was a little skeptical that the race would go since the weather was calling for rain/snow mix. It was pretty chilly (~37) when I last checked the car thermometer before starting warm-up. The slight drizzle continued for the entire morning.

During warm up, they were putting down some of that gravel which soaks up oil (I don’t know the proper name) on turn #2. Holy cow, it was a really slick corner. I think I fishtailed about every time through that corner. On the 3rd lap, a rider in front of me slid out on that turn. I managed to swerve around him safely. From that point forward, everyone went through #2 with serious caution.

Since this is still a training race, I decided to just get some good solid work in during the race. Mistake #1. I forgot to remove my saddle bag. So, while at the very front of the start line, I get called out again to remove my saddle bag and kindly hand over to some lady standing at the start/finish…ooops. I’ll pick that up after the race. Hey, my race number was pinned on right, though!

I threw caution to the wind starting out and just rode hard from the whistle. I pulled the bunch for the first couple of laps (5mins @380w). I dragged back a few minor attacks during the 3rd lap. I think I discouraged anymore attacks because only one other guy went the rest of the day (besides me with 3 to go). During the race, that “other” guy and I started talking a bit of strategy. His name was Aaron. Nice guy. He’s from Baltimore and rides for BBC (more leisure than a race group he said). Cool, I may have somebody to strategize with in future races. Aaron and I were really the only one’s trying to animate the race. The rest were pack fodder.

Aaron went on a break around lap 6 or 7? I was near the back trying to open the vents on my jacket…I was getting hot…when he went. I was like “crap!” There’s my chance to work a break with him. By the time I got to the front the gap was only around 3-4 seconds to Aaron. I was finally at the front when I passed him, but everyone else was on my wheel. Aaron asked, “What took you so long?” I said, “Sorry, man. I was at the back when you took off.” Basically, Aaron and I just drove the pack around for the rest of the race, keeping the pace up. I took a flyer with 3 to go (~ 7 minutes 363avg/384np), but Aaron couldn’t bridge.

I hopped Aaron’s wheel going into the last lap. We were sitting about 5th. He goosed it after turn 1, so now I was sitting 2nd wheel going into slippery turn 2. Aaron pulled off and now I was sitting first wheel…not exactly where I wanted to be. I needed a little recovery. I slowed to let the pack roll through and jumped back on around 10-15.

We hit the last turn and started down the slight downhill to the finish. I gritted my teeth and hit it. I was passing riders all the way to the line, but I got beat by a bike length from the top 3-4 riders that were bunched together. I think I was 4th or 5th. The big problem I realized while bombing to the finish line at 35mph is that I need an 11-23 cassette. A 12 is not low enough. I stayed seated the entire sprint because I was spinning at 120+rpm’s and thought if I stood up I would fly off the bike. I was actually pretty happy and surprised that I made it that close to leader without a true standup sprint.

Overall, I’m pleased with how training is coming along. My power numbers keep increasing nicely week over week which is my goal at this time of the year. Next weekend is “The Dunk”! And then a few more of these races in March.

Race Power Summary:
Duration: 49:56
Work: 858 kJ
TSS: 80.7 (intensity factor 0.985)
Norm Power: 325
VI: 1.13
Distance: 18.977 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 1011 286 watts
Cadence: 26 141 94 rpm
Speed: 8 36.4 22.8 mph
Hub Torque: 0 338 85 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 1095 257 lb-in

I highlighted all of the matches I burned (30sec+ efforts over 400watts).

No comments:

Post a Comment