Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Syn-Fit & Dolan races

Wow. Crazy weekend. It was great to meet more of the crew at the races. Obviously, I don't really have a lot to add about the SynFit M35 4/5 race, other than one little story. An ABRT guy parked next to me at Dolan and I had just finished putting the WWVC kit on. He got out of the car and said, "So, how many of you guys are racing the 4/5?" I laughed and said, "Just two." We got to talking and he said he was 4th at Synfit 35 4/5. He thought our team tactics were played out extremely well to get our guy the win.

As far as my other races went, I was fairly pleased. My final positioning for the Synfit 5 and Dolan 4/5 were pretty crappy. I guess I'm a little lucky I can make up for my inferior tactical skills with some decent legs, but I can't get away with that forever. The other interesting thing I learned this weekend is that my perception of what I think happened can be far different from someone else. For instance, at SynFit, I thought I came through the final turn top 6-10. Nope, Chris G told me I was like 15+. I thought I crossed line in 2nd. Nope, result said 3rd. I thought I managed to squeak all the way up to around 4 or 5th at Dolan. Nope, Dave broke the news, 6th. I guess recounting cycling races is fair game for a little embellishment from time to time. Sort of like the 14 pound Bass I caught fishing when I was Fifteen. I think it was really 8 at the time, but it has grown throughout the years.

Although I was bummed not to have my 808 PT for the SynFit 35 4/5 due to Zipp rim strip tape puncturing through at several spoke holes, I'm really happy to find this landmine now versus during the Ephrata race next weekend. I went to Conte's on the way home and they said they had never seen that happen and warrantied the rim tape. I don't know. I'm going to keep a close eye on that. May switch to a cloth based rim tape.


I seriously can't wait to upgrade, but from the sounds of it the 4's aren't much better. I witnessed some unbelievably crappy bike handling skills this weekend. Dan took some of the brunt from one of the events. And what's up with all of the stupid f-ing morons who shout from the back all sorts of crap like, "Why are you slowing? Come on, Let's go". "Hold your line! (as they know what a line is)" Please tell me this isn't as pervasive in the 3 or 4's?

Really the highlight of the weekend was working a race as a team. So few teams really get it, but those that do, can really wreck havoc on a race. It was very enjoyable. Since I don't have time to tell you myself how it went down, I'm pasting up a report from Rich on the team who won the race. Way to close, Rich!

Rich's Rpt (Syn-Fit 35+ 4/5):

Today was one great day to be a Whole Wheeler. Gus, Peter, Tom and I did more than win this race, Whole Wheel dominated every aspect of it.

The four of us talked before the race, I think Gus, Tom and Peter had been talking cause all I heard was "Rich, how's your sprint?". I said "good", so Gus told me "your job is to do no work, when the time comes, Tom will come and get you and you will sprint." OK ? Tom was more specific, he said to look for him with 8 laps to go.

So I spent most of the race stretching even Chris Hall's definition of "no work", Tom went off the front with 11 laps to go and stayed there for four laps, winning the Prime in the process. I got a little nervous since I had "8 laps" warning in my head. I talked to Peter who started moving us up to the front. The peleton brought Tom back with 7 to go, but he was on the wrong side, so I stuck to Pete. With 5 to go I saw Tom again, up front, but again on the wrong side. Finally with four to go, I found Tom's wheel and let Pete know we were back on plan.

With four laps to go we were lined up. Gus, Pete, Tom then me. With three to go, Gus pulled the train out of the station right on the front. Tucked in behind Peter and Tom, I wasn't feeling it, but I noticed fewer and fewer guys around me. Gus nailed it for 3/4 of a lap and dropped off, Pete took over with one to go and really started turning the screws. A Colavita racer had snuck into our train behind Peter, in front of Tom, but once Peter started dishing out the hurt, he could not hang, but Pete kept going. Tom and I had to call out to get him to let up a bit. Tom pulled around and got on Peter's wheel screaming "go, go!".

I had serious doubts about my ability to hold onto these two guys, but it was clear we could win if we could hold it together. Peter drilled it from the start/finish line for half a lap and Tom took over to continue to hard pace. Just before the last turn I looked back, and we had a 10 meter gap on the peleton. We rounded the last corner and Tom gave it a last couple turns and shouted "go, go" right as I kicked it. It was all adrenalin and anaerobic pain from there until the finish. I was terrified of blowing the great leadout and set new :03 -
:15 wattage records (I didn't really have to jump, since no one was on my wheel)

I am proud of our team, in awe of the abilities of my teammates and feeling very guilty about being the guy who actually won, since I think I did the least amount of work. Tom and Peter probably could have gone top ten all on there own, but sacrificed their own results to guarantee a Whole Wheel result. that is what is so great about being a Whole Wheeler. It really was a thing of beauty to have a set strategy and execute better than we could have expected. I'm psyched to get Peter upgraded to CAT 4 so we can start working it on a regular basis.

If we are doing race results and "domestique" points this year, I nominate Gus, Peter and Tom for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment