Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Good weekend

It's no secret I'm a big fan of knocking workouts out inside. When I picked up the e-motion rollers back in 2008, my entire outlook changed. I fell in love with the dynamics of being able to squeeze productive hours training inside regardless of the weather. I'll admit, I rarely ride just to ride. I try to have a purpose and goal every time I get on the back. Some say you miss out on the joy of "just" riding. Don't get me wrong, during my transition time from year to year, I do "just" ride, but once the beginning of the year hits, every ride has a purpose. Plus, I like knocking my workouts out in the morning when all possible so I can enjoy the day and not stress about what I need to do after work.

So, although it was relatively nice out on Saturday (relatively is used lightly since there were like 40mph wind gusts out), with a threshold workout on tap on the TT bike, I decided to stay inside. No cars to worry about..no stop lights to worry about...no hiding.

Coach calls them "LT Subs" 4x 8mins at threshold 100%, then drop immediately to 4+mins at sub threshold 95%. This was a new format and I liked it. Cumulative average for all 4 was 343w's...right where I needed to be on the TT bike. I won't lie, the first one felt like DEATH, I just couldn't get breathing right or mentally find a rhythm. Legs were still a little cooked from Thursday. Then things turned around and got better and better each time.

Surprisingly, I wasn't too wrecked afterward and that left me with some good confidence to hit the tough workout on tap for Sunday. So, on Sunday I ventured over to my secret training spot and fired up the engines for some more pain.

The main villain for Sunday was 4x2min all out seated hill reps, followed by a quick set of seated enhanced accelerations and then a 20min tempo set. The route I use is really lumpy. I found one decent climb that would work for the hill reps. It's just HARD to find a true climb around here (well, close to Alexandria) over 2mins. So, after pile driving myself through the hill reps and the rest of the workout, I was pretty cooked. The numbers were good so I was happy to head home and finish up some home improvement projects to keep the wife pleased. It's weird how I'm always in a better mood after having a good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment