Monday, August 10, 2009

540 Cat 4 race...tons of fun

I'm posting up video now, but I will add my other thoughts at some point today. In short, fun course (18 laps/22 miles). I got some great guys to be in a break with. Everyone worked hard and well together. I was lucky enough to get the win at the end. Igda got a little excited at the end and forgot she had the camera in her hand. Too funny

540 Cat 4 Race from Peter Warner on Vimeo.



OK, I have a few minutes to jot down some more thoughts. I planned on doing the 4 race and the 4 35+ race back to back. For the 4 race, I really wanted to race hard. Attack until I couldn't anymore. I started the race hard and realized after a few laps, I'd need to just keep hitting that little hill really hard to wear some folks down and hopefully get some guys off the front with me. The course is fast, so it really is the only place to get some separation. I told Grayson (Bikerack) that I was going hard after the prime lap. But nobody really went for it, so I waited until the next time at the hill and punched it again. With Grayson on my wheel and two young NCVC's coming as well, I thought this was it. Everyone jumped in full bore and did a great job working it. It didn't hurt that Bikerack and NCVC had quite a few guys in the field to disrupt the chase. They did a good job of it. I'd guess the field gave up with about 5 or 6 to go and we rolled pretty steady. I just waited patiently on the last lap and had enough pop in the legs to take the sprint. It's always a blast trying to stick a break.

My teammate Brian got some vid of the finish (check out Emi in the background- awesome!)

540 Cycling Crit Series #3, Cat 4 from Brian on Vimeo.







For the 35+ 4 race, I just decided to use it as good sprint practice and go for the primes. I got two of them and Grayson got one. I won a few RoadID gift certificates. I ended up 6th in the end. I just got too lazy at the end and had poor positioning. Thanks 540 for putting this on. It was well run and a nice course.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome. What a blast to hang it all out there and make this stick. I could hear you winding it up behind me as we crested the last hill. I knew then that the rest of us were racing for 2nd. Congrats on the well deserved win. Look forward to the full write-up.

    *something inappropriate here*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do a better job next time with the camera,still new to it.Great win babe,so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete