Monday, August 17, 2009

Millersburg Recap

Igda and I had a nice weekend. She's a trooper for going to these races with me and putting up with my mood swings along the way. She's always very supportive.

Millersburg is a quiet little town about 25 miles north of Harrisburg. It's about a 3 hour drive from home.

Here are some pics:




Pre-Race:


Pretty Sunrise on Sunday:


Start of the Road Race:


I'm sort of tuckered out for a full on race recap, so I'll keep it brief. I placed 3rd in the TT. Good to know I can still TT well without really focusing on it the last month or so. Room for improvement for sure. Hats off to my teammate Michael for destroying everyone and taking 1st. I made a little money to pay for gas.

A few clips from Igda's friend Sam:



The Crit race followed the TT a few hours later. A hard, fun course which was really selective. My teammate, Tom, got me where I needed to be coming off the final climb toward the front, but I just did a poor job holding my position down the descent. I was upset with myself afterward since I knew this was a crucial spot before the race even started. You just don't get second chances in bike racing. I guess it was a small victory to finish the select group. I picked up a few more GC points.

The Road Race. Honestly, the course just wasn't selective enough. As a team, we tried to be active and attack the race, but it just didn't pan out for one reason or another. We got our moneys worth, though. Again, I'm thinking my "survival instinct" took over toward the finish and I just didn't have the gumption to fight for the right position leading up to the turn into the finish which was more important than the final sprint for a top 10. Finished 22nd. Just out of GC points for the race. I ended up 12th in the GC for stage race. Maybe by next year I'll grow a set of balls and make sure my disability and health insurance premiums are in force beforehand.

Bottom line: A wonderful race weekend. The town and volunteers REALLY go out of their way to put this event on. Hopefully this race will continue to grow because it's a must do event.

No comments:

Post a Comment